Things I Learned in Montana

I spent the better part of the summer out west in the gorgeous state of Montana. It truly is the "Big Sky" state, the fields seemed to go on forever, the sky was such an opalescent blue that changed throughout the day to adapt to the farm below it. The mountains rolled on for what seems like forever, and although the smoke from the forest fires hazed them, being in the valley was so incredibly beautiful. We saw bison and goats, and worked with pigs and chickens and cattle. I learned so much about sustainable agriculture and permaculture, I hope to write an article this year about food systems and permaculture. I met some of the coolest people ever, and just was so happy to be connected to the earth around me through living outside for so long. Montana is so underrated, I hope to return as soon as I can. I plan to publish a poem about the valley. While I was there, I learned so much about different people and their experiences, and talked with many local people. Coming home, I can truly say I feel like a better person who has grown. On the plane ride home, as soon as I sat down, I wrote everything I learned about myself and personality while I was there, and I feel inclined to share it. Here are "Things I Have Learned in Montana: A General Review" by: Yours Truly 1. Listening is Key For Healthy Conversation You don't need to fill every silent moment! Listen to others, and appreciate what others have to say. Listen and learn, and share what you know to be beneficial to conversation. 2. Be Kind To Those With Different World Views After talking with so many vegans especially, and people from other parts of the country, you must accept those who differ from you. Whether they be non-binary, vegan, jewish, or anything else that you do not identify with, you must learn from them and appreciate their views, although you may disagree. 3. Step Away From Technology Often, Breathe in Nature Get off your phone! There's so much incredible beauty in the world around you, whether it be a lake, hill, or mountain. Even trees and plants and animals hold nature, you must connect with the earth. Limit your phone usage to two hours a day if even, it is incredibly easy to get sucked into your phone. Read, draw, listen to music, whatever- just get off your stupid phone! It is not as hard as you think to function without it! 4. Put All Your Effort In To Recieve Great Results Workings as hard as you can at whatever you do, even if you do not enjoy it, will bring you so incredibly far in life. Whether it be carpentry, the chicken coop, school, whatever, if you put all your effort in, you will be pleased with the results. Never falter away from your end goal, work hard for great results. 5. You Are Stronger Then You Believe The #1 thing that people wrote on your plus wish cards is that you need to have more confidence in yourself. You are pretty, you aren't annoying always, you are badass, people don't hate you for no reason. Whatever you believe about yourself will be reciprocated. Do What You Aren't Comfortable With You weren't comfortable seeing a chicken killed, and you slaughtered seven. You were scared to rock climb, and you reached the goal you wanted to conquer. You were afraid that people would hate you, you made so many amazing friends. Face what you fear and always try something new, you never know what you may find amazing. Only Consume What You Need You don't need lots of food at every meal, you don't need lots of new clothing. The world has so much to offer you outside of material things, take advantage of the more simple things in life, like the mountains, and conversation. Don't over consume, take just what you need.

0 comments