A Poem Written April 3rd, 2020

Going to the grocery store is now a treat.
The stinging smell of hand sanitizer,
The sight of shopping carts packed with toilet paper,
Everyone rushes to get in and out.
I smile at the deli man before I ask for american cheese,
Before I remember that the cloth on my face covers my mouth and friendly gesture.
The dark circles under his eyes tell the story of how his day is going.
I ask my mom if I can get ice cream,
She nods and tells me to hurry back,
I try to push through crowds of people,
To find the freezer with the only flavor in it of rum raisin.
The TV recites the news and new case totals,
“Social distancing” is printed on posters throughout the store.
I want to hug, I want to shake hands, I want to say hello to my neighbors, I want to go to a school dance, I want to visit my grandma, I want to go to the mall,
But the guidelines laid out for us tell us we must not.

0 comments