Public Speaking: Tips and Tricks!

Hello b10ggers!
Its been a while since I have done a simple how-to post, and today I would like to give you all an insight to something that I love to do, which is public speaking! I have been public speaking since I was in the first grade, when I had a speaking part at the school assembly. I basically just said the name of three fruits that are healthy for you. After this though, I really grew as a speaker and knew that public speaking was something I wanted to do. I did plays and musicals all throughout elementary and middle school, sometimes getting speaking roles, and sometimes not. I spoke at my first communion in the second grade in front of hundreds, I mc'd my fourth grade assembly by myself, I delievered dozens of presentations to my classes throughout middle school willingly, I spoke at my middle school assemblies, and countless other examples of public speaking. I am so grateful for all of the opportunities I have made for myself and been given. This upcoming Monday I actually have a presentation about Indigenous rights infront of my entire school of 400+! How do I do it? What gives me confidence? Keep reading!
Me, in Boston, while filming a video for youtube, which is a form of public speaking.
1. What is stopping you? "Fear does not stop death. It stops life. And worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace."
My Dad sent me this quote a few weeks ago and it has really sat with me since then.
Fear. Worry. Embarrassment. Disability. Is that was is stopping you? Where is your source of hesitation coming from? What stops you from going after it?
In my situation, I throughly enjoy public speaking, and you may not which is okay! But, it is a good skill to have when you need it. The majority of people who name their source of hesitation will probably say fear. You really have to think though, will I still be fearful after? Why is this fear different? What am I afraid of? Everything happens for a reason, so if you mess up, its probably a good thing. Hold on to what is stopping you and turn around the situation.
You can live your life in fear or you can live it with drive. Why are you so scared of the future? Why do you fear the unknown? I mean, if it will benefit you, why not try it? You will find your own answer for what is stopping you by sitting down and asking yourself these questions. Have a discussion with yourself and tell yourself to not be afraid. Only you can fix your own issues. I guarantee you that it really is not that big of a deal. After all, aren't we all just on a floating rock?
2. Time is Relative.
You probably aren't even really worried that much about the speech itself, but rather how long you have to do it for. You can read, right? As long as you can read and can physically speak loud then you have all the components to do it. The time though, you have to remember doesn't even exist. We made time up! Like, in the whole universe, do you think anywhere else has a time system? Fear nothing. You are the one thing in life you can control. How will you make a difference in your speech? Will you be remembered? You have the power to decide if you want people to remember your speech by deciding how exciting it will be. It can give off whatever vibes you want. What do you want people to get from it? What is the goal? It is up to you.
3. Hype yourself up!
Yes, you are the coolest person in the room. Yes, everyone is looking at you. Yes, you have the power to deliver what informatin you want. What will you do with this power? Real talk, look in the mirror before hand and tell yourself you will do great. Be positive! Talking yourslef down will only make you feel worse about the event. How can you make it a positive experience? I'm sure you want to enjoy the speech, so change your mindself to help you overcome it. If you are challenged, think about how you can get around that challenge and excel in other areas. Try positive affirmations. I repeat them to myself in the mirror each morning to start my day off with positivity.
Some examples:
- I am beautiful
- I am strong
- I am able to do what I put my mind to
- I am the one thing in life I can control
- I am original
- I am inamitable
Tell youself what you want to be told! You are your own biggest critic. Hype yourself up you, you got this.
Got more questions? Comment below!

0 comments