The Speech That Won Me Senior Class President

Video of the Speech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSKtrc7EQ20
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” If we analyze Albert Einstein’s educational credibility, then you can call my actions insane. Every year in my run for student council, I repeat the same actions, expecting a different outcome. And every year, I take the loss. Candy with puns did the trick Freshman year, but then again I was running unopposed. Sophomore year, I would love to say it was my strong speech and even more candy that allowed me to win, but almost everyone who ran received a spot as representative. And for the last three years, despite the colorful posters and even more candy, I just straight up lost. I would stand up here and repeat the same stuff as everybody, about listening to your voice and what I want to accomplish, but in all honesty, it is not true. Because I want more than that for us. Whether it is running a class Instagram page, being captain of two sports, being a member of over four clubs, or being at every meeting planning class events, it is prevalent I genuinely am devoted to helping give our class the best possible school year experience. I don’t want to just talk about ideas, I want to make actual, physical progress. I believe in Marianapolis. You elect the same people each year, based on popularity and social credits. And every year, the same events occur and the same fundraisers happen. I want us to have a plethora of fundraisers for prom, I want us to have new dances and activities for the community. I want us to break past the monotonous routine we have experienced year after year, and take back the Marianapolis spirit we all knew and loved our freshman year. Do you know what’s so great about representative democracy? Every single person who is a part of it has power. Every single person has a vote. You can elect your representatives to serve in office, and trust them to achieve what you elected them for. The government is elected by you, as citizens, and the votes are qualitative. Everyone is equal, and has a vote that they can decide what to do with: and nobody can take that away from them. 241 days left of being a Golden Knight. 241 days for dances, events, games, competitions, lunches, activities, clubs, and everything else we are tasked with bringing back, to ensure the future of the culture of Marianapolis. Remember Goat Yoga? Remember Ice Cream Fridays? Remember Mental Health Monday? All of these kids younger than us would have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. They don’t know what true school spirit is. If we can demonstrate how true Golden Knights behave and work together, we can create a long-lasting legacy, which goes beyond ourselves this year, and lasts into the future. We grow through what we go through. We have been through so incredibly much. And we have grown so incredibly much. I cannot stand up here and say that I don’t think we have changed since we were fourteen because we most definitely have, for worse and for better. We grow into what personalities, thoughts, and ideas we will hold close to us for the rest of our lives in this stage of beginning young adulthood. And the actions we take right now will shape our futures. I would like for us, more than anything is for all of us to prove we have come out of the pandemic stronger than we went in. With the right decisions, and being genuine about what we think is the right thing to do, every single one of us will achieve that. We are all called to make the choice to do what is right. For me, that is making the choice to ask you to trust me with planning your senior year. Thank you.

0 comments