MOVIE REVIEW SUNDAY: Little Women

Hey b10ggers!
It's Avery. Recently, I saw an amazing movie titled Little Women and I wanted to write a review for it because I think people should go watch it! Enjoy!


The movie opens in a publishers office in New York City, with a seemingly young and intelligent woman attempting to get her book published. Now, when I walked into the theater, I knew that the novel was about four sisters, and thats it. I had little prior knowledge of the plot of the story, so when it was later revealed the the girl sitting in the office of the publisher was the second oldest March sister, I started to realize that the movie is about the journey of what it seems like this sister trying to share her story of growing up. I thought this was a great start, even though I was confused, things quickly began to pull together and make sense.

One thing I did not understand about the casting for this film was why the casting director decided to hire four European women with strong accents to play the roles of the sisters? The acting was outstanding, but there were some parts of the movie you could hear their accents slip through, with kind of threw off the "1800s colonies" vibe of the movie.

The oldest March sister, played by Emma Watson, was named Meg and was supposed to be the age of 16, when you could definitely tell the actor was not near that age, but it was okay because Emma did the best she could at portraying the role of somebody younger. Now I have loved Emma Watson ever since she played Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films; she is very sweet but a strong example of feminism. She fit the role of Meg March well, and I feel as though if she had a more complex and interesting storyline, Emma could have brought her to light in the fullest potential. Towards the end of the film, when she gets in an argument with her husband about silk for a dress, this part is really her only major moment of character development when she realizes that life is not all about money. All of the other sisters throughout the movie had a talent, like art, music, and writing, but nothing about Meg was prominent that she excelled in. I thought that Meg was well played by Emma, but with more thought to her character, it could have been done better.

The second oldest March sister, Jo, was portrayed by Saorsie (sher-sha) Ronan and quite honestly, she was my favorite character in the movie. She is the family bookworm, with a talent for writing. I believe Louisa May Alcott, author of the novel Little Women, based Jo off of herself but I could be wrong. She was your average tomboy, making it clear that she is disappointed to be a girl and wishes she could just go to war along with her father. Jo was everything I hope to be when I get older, and her character had so much development and story which brought a lot to the storyline. I would say she was the main focus of the movie. Something memorable about her was that she really did not want a boyfriend or anything of the sort. She was herself and did not need a companion, she was just a good friend. Laurie Lawrence, the boy who lived next door, loved her for many years but she merely wanted to be friends with him, which was an interesting conflict between their characters. Saorsie did a very good job of having a strong American accent over her known Irish accent throughout the film, and overall was a perfect fit for this character.

Beth, the third oldest March sister, was played by Eliza Scanlen. One thing notable about Eliza is that she is Australian, and did a wonderful job of keeping the American accent throughout the movie. Beth, who is described as the quietest and sweetest March sister, had the beautiful talent of playing piano, and was quite talented as well. A liking was taken to Beth by Mr. Lawrence Sr., who remarked to her that she reminded him of his late wife, and Beth was allowed to go into the mansion next door to play their beautiful piano to pursue her gift. She did not talk much, but took care of everything gingerly and loved to aid others, like the Hummel family. Towards the end of the film, she falls ill with scarlet fever, and then dies in her sleep, which causes all of the sisters to come home from wherever they are living now and take part in her funeral services. Honestly, I thought she had a good storyline, but because I am such an outgoing person opposed to her, I couldn't be too understanding of the reasons she was so quiet. She had no reason for anyone to hate her, but she could be kind of forgettable. She was the one sister in the movie that was believable to be her age and not in her 20's. Eliza did a great job of playing her, and I could not imagine anyone else portraying her.


Amy, the youngest March sister, was played by Florence Pugh, who honestly made the movie great. Florence did an amazing job of portraying her and was a wonderful actress. I had no issues with this casting choice, and Amy had strong morals and ideas. She was very young and much of a rascal, but brought comedy and lighthearted feelings to the movie. She was fiery and feminine, and Florence did a fantastic job of playing, well, a 12-year-old. Amy had a gift for painting, which led to Aunt March bringing her to Paris to pursue that gift, taking Jo's place which led to some controversy between the sisters. I believe Florence was the absolute perfect actress for this. Amy's character made up the story to be what it is thought of today, and she had the perfect amount of scene presence. In the end, she ends up together with Laurie, who she brought the best of him out when she was with him. She was little but strong, and I am so glad they made the perfect choices for her character.

Overall, this movie was casted absolutely perfectly. The lines were written well, and the acting was spot on. I actually recently purchased the novel and have been reading it! I especially thought it cool that because I live in Massachusetts, I recognized many of the places and last weekend went to a few of the places where they filmed scenes, for instance, the beach in Ipswich, MA. This is a great movie to watch with friends or family, and really makes you feel good. I do not want to spoil anything, so I will let you go watch this movie yourself! Comment what you think!

Stay Safe!
Avery

0 comments