The Hot Rod

Hey b10ggers, Today I am going to write about a car that had a big impact on my childhood, which is a 1940's hot rod.
Above are some pictures of this car. It was built by my Grampy, I am not sure what years. It had brown seats with smell of fabric and oil mixed together. It had a old analog clock in it, a standard stick, and a casette player, with a tape on it with songs from the 1940's through 60's. My favoirtes inclube the original "Big Girls Don't Cry", "Book of Love", and "Poetry in Motion". My Grampy spent years working on this car, and gave it to my family in around 2012. We gave it to my cousins who live 30 minutes away from us because we did not use it enough. My best memories in this car come from the years 2007-2018. My Grampy used to get up very early every morning. Around 3-4 times a year, he would visit my state of Massachusetts from his place of residence in Sotuh Carolina. We would leave the house at 6AM when he would visit and he would bring me to Friendly's. He would buy me ice cream for breakfast! We would talk about anything, and sometimes on these trips my other cousin who was five years older than me would come. We would pick her up in the morning, or she would sleep over the night before. I remember licking sticky ice cream panckes off my fingers, and then visiting my Dad at work. I would spend all day at his office, coloring or playing in the trucks that felt so big at the time. If we did not go to Friendly's, we went to Chick-fil-A. In all of these memories, the hot rod is a part. My parent's drove to their wedding in this car, I went to Father-daughter dances in this car, family events, movies, church, soccer games, parties, so many fond memories in this car. So many childhood memories have this car as a factor, and I am so grateful for it. My Grampy passed away on October 6th, 2019. This was a big blow to my family. He was such a positive impact on all of us. This car reminds me of my best memories with him. Although I do not see it often anymore, I cannot wait to attend my prom in this car, or take my future kids to events in it. I cannot wait to play the cassette tape on the way to breakfast, and tell them about how I grew up with this car. Having relics from previous memories is so cool. Like, you can think, the memory only exists in my head now, but this object went through it with me and this object now is the only relic I have to remind me of what happened. The Friendly's is closed, my Grampy has passed, but that hot rod still has all the memories in it. Life goes on, and we cannot change the past, we can only remincise on our fond memories. I am so thankful for all the memories I have in that car, and I am so thankful to be able to look foward to the future.

0 comments